April 15, 2008

My Kitchen Carnage

My ego usually gets the better of me when it comes to posting to my blog. I've never posted any recipe that had a less than decent outcome. Today, however, I had a choice to make. This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe and I got into a fight. I'm not sure who won, but it ended ugly. (You'll see what I am talking about in a minute.) In the end, I figured there's no harm in sharing kitchen failures. I have to believe everyone, whether or not they admit it, has had at least one baking debacle. Here's one for the Fail record books.

Judy of Judy's Gross Eats selected marshmallows from the popular Dorie baking tome, Baking: From My Home to Yours, for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe. It seemed easy enough and I felt fairly confident that I would be in and out of the kitchen in no time, and snacking on my newly made marshmallows.

I'm not sure when the breakdown occurred, but my guess is that it started with the whipping of the egg whites. I must not have been paying attention because I never saw the stiff peaks as indicated in the directions. I stopped whisking because the egg seemed to be separating. I should have left it alone at that point, but wanted to experiment a little and added some macerated strawberries. Enter second breakdown. The mixture seemed to set up, but when I cut into it, it didn't have the consistency of marshmallow. The texture was somewhat spongy and the taste? Eggy. Realizing that these would never make it as marshmallows, I spooned it into a bowl, hopeful that I could repurpose the gelatinous mess into another recipe.

In the end, I just tossed it.

So, there you are. The marshmallows that would never be.




I originally planned to give it another go before posting day, but I came down with a nasty cold and I'm just not feeling the culinary love right now. I hope to get back in the marshmallow saddle in the next week or so.

I'm optimistic that I can get it right next time, but really ... it can't get any uglier. For now, check out some good-looking marshmallows from the other Tuesday with Dorie bakers.

Tell me about one of your kitchen blunders so I don't feel so bad.

More Dorie recipes I've made from Baking: From My Home to Yours
Fresh Tangelo Cream Tart
Gooey Chocolate Cakes
Perfect Party Cake
Brioche Raisin Snails
Russian Grandmothers' Apple Pie-Cake
Snickery Squares
Pecan Sour Cream Biscuits
Almost-Fudge Gâteau

3 comments:

LyB said...

That's too bad, really. Mine didn't quite turn out either, there's hope for next week though! :)

Jaime said...

that's ok, we all have our moments! at least you tried it and had fun w/it... i'm a bit tired (and sick) right now to think of a funny story when i had a kitchen disaster, but trust me, we all have 'em!

Mary said...

you know, this recipe seemed to give the most people trouble so you are not alone....way to put your ego aside and share! can't wait to see your carrot cake next week....I bet it will be a victorious experience!