January 2, 2008

Happy New Year

Some say that eating black-eyed peas on New Year's day brings the diner good luck and financial gain for that year. Fact? Folklore? All I know is that I can always use more luck and money. So who am I to question tradition? As I eat another spoonful in hopes of enriching my future, I wish you all the best for a happy, healthy and prosperous 2008.



Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas

1 pound smoked sausage
1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
4 cloves of garlic
5 sprigs of fresh thyme
4 bay leaves
3 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
8 cups chicken stock
1 pound black-eyed peas
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped green onions

In a large pot, over medium heat, render the sausage for 5 minutes. Stir in the onions, salt, cayenne, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and parsley. Saute for 5 minutes, or until the onions are wilted. Stir in the chicken stock, peas and garlic. Bring the liquid up to a simmer and cook for 1 1/2 hours, or until the peas are tender. Spoon the peas and sausage in the center of a shallow bowl. Garnish with green onions.

No comments: